Yemen troops, rebels killed in battle for central province — Add cholera and the risk of famine

Peace and Freedom

AFP

© AFP/File | Despite the military intervention of a Saudi-led coalition in March 2015, the government’s writ is still largely confined to the south and areas along the Saudi border

ADEN (AFP) – Six soldiers were killed in Yemen on Thursday, a military source said, as government forces seek to cement their control over Marib province, east of the rebel-held capital.The source said 14 Shiite rebels were also killed over the past 24 hours in intense fighting for Sarwah, the last district in the mainly Sunni province still held by the rebels.

The government has been battling since last year to retake the mountainous district which commands the main road to the capital Sanaa.

Despite the military intervention of a Saudi-led coalition in March 2015, the government’s writ is still largely confined to the south and areas along the Saudi border.

The government announced a shake-up of its military command…

View original post 90 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s